The Colgate Scene ON-LINE



Gone fishin'
Professor of Mathematics James M. Taylor once referred to the campus of Madison University as "a third-rate farm." In addition to his responsibilities as a teacher and author of textbooks on calculus and algebra, Prof Jim, as the students called him, was named supervisor of buildings and grounds. The price of complaint.

One particularly galling portion of campus was the swampy area that gurgled at the foot of the hill, not far from the site of the academy, which would become the Administration Building and meet a fiery end in 1963.

About the time the university took the name of the family of New York City soapmakers and generous benefactors (1890), Taylor began to drain the bog. With the sweat of Irish workers and through the strain of horse teams pulling scoops a lake was born. The clay they dug was used to build a path planted with golden Russian willows in 1905.

The Willow Path came by its name naturally enough, but it was a vote of the trustees that created Taylor Lake in honor of the man whose dedication helped transform a rundown farm into one of the nation's loveliest campuses. JH


Loosestrife and lemon lilies



New golden Russian willows

A great blue heron finds sustenance

Adam scans the lake for lunch

Alert parents watch over Canada goslings

What lies beneath tranquil waters?

The flowery banks