Board and award nominations 2007
Thank you to those who recommended candidates for the Alumni Corporation Board of Directors or alumni service awards. These early submissions give the nominations and awards committees as much lead time as possible to review the many candidates under consideration. As in the past, we will continue to accept nominations until the week of the winter committee meetings; this year January 16 is the last date for submissions. Please include a brief supporting statement about the candidate if possible. Submissions can be sent to RuthAnn Loveless MA'72, Executive Secretary, Colgate University, 13 Oak Drive, Hamilton, NY 13346.
The Alumni Corporation Board of Directors held its fall meeting in Hamilton in September. Here are a few highlights:
- Alumni board members met more than 100 students throughout the weekend, enjoying a conversation with the senior class gift committee, a networking reception with students from all classes, a debate team demonstration, and an update from students about life at fraternities, sororities, and other Broad Street houses. We continue to be impressed with the poise, intelligence, and enthusiasm of students, and the many ways they engage and contribute to life at Colgate.
- At the career services office's request, we shared ways a liberal arts education has influenced each of our lives. According to Director Barbara Moore: "Stories, real-life examples, or personal anecdotes are powerful teaching tools. Please help us ‘show, not tell' students how their liberal arts education will enable them to be successful in whatever they choose to do or whomever they choose to be." Do you have a story to share with career services? Visit www.colgatealumni.org.
- Committee meetings and a session with President Chopp and Dean of the College Charlotte Johnson brought us together with leaders from many campus offices. The discussions gave us the chance to learn about campus topics, pose questions, and share alumni views.
- We believe in the importance of providing financial support as an investment in the university's future, and we made a commitment to achieve 100 percent alumni board participation in Colgate's fundraising efforts to support its strategic plan.
- We discussed ways to improve our communication with alumni and reflect on our work as a board. One starting point, which is part of a broader planning process, is to gather alumni input on our current activities. Please visit www.colgatealumni.org to share your views.
For more information about the meeting, read the Fall '06 Across the Board Newsletter or access a roster of board members you can contact. Visit www.colgatealumni.org and click Alumni Corporation Board of Directors.
Joanne Spigner '76
President, Alumni Corporation Board of Directors